Contents, volume 1:
1. Astrology & Hindu Culture Concept of culture; Hindu culture in Vedic literature; Performance of rites & sacrifices in specific seasons; Role of astronomy to determine seasons; Arya Bhatta; Influence of stars & planets on human life; Origin of astrology; Goal of Hindu culture; Astrology integral element of Hindu culture & religion; Good & bad nakshatras; Astrology in Vedas, Brahmanas & Samhitas; Savants of Indian astrology: Parasara, Gemini, Varahamihira, Yavaneshwara, Satyacharya, Manitha, Tajakas, Neelakantha, Garga, Kalyana Varma, Mantreshwara, Vaidyanatha;
2. The Value of Astrology Effects of moon on human mind; Effect of earth quakes; Role of constellations, meteors, comets, shooting stars & ketus; Latest excursions of science in space; Importance of yogas; Observations of Indian astrologers & western scientists; Ultra-violet rays & radiations; Effects of astronomical & meteorological conditions on criminal acts; Effects of solar radiation on heart, nervous system, circulatory systems & blood corpuscles; Jupiter's influence on river-flow; Astrology can better predict weather;
3. Physics, Probability & Predictions Causality & determinism; Six conclusions drawn by Jeans; Quantum theory; Probability & certainty; Science & reality; Einstein's principle; Living things, radio-activity; Carbon-cycle; Mind & matter; Determinism & indeterminism; Idea of freedom; Heisenburg's principle of uncertainty;
4. Astrology, Science & Superstition Superstition & religion way of life; Astrology & superstition; Real nature of superstition; Reality of spirit; Superstition versus precaution; Belief in God; Validity of superstition; Attack on predictive science; Newly discovered planets; Copernican revolution; Action-reaction between stars & man; Astrology, astrologer & prediction; Astrology not blind superstition; Role of intuition in astrology; Robert Mayer's theory of intuition; Influence of solar system on earth; Ownership of planets over signs of the zodiac;
5. Implications of Astrology Qualities essential for an astrologer; Importance of an astrologer for a ruler; Role of intuition, 'divya-drishti or yoga dristi' in astrology; Role of philosophy & religion in astrology; Foresight for common man; Science of prediction versus science of medicine; Importance of planetary influence on events; Jung's principle; Accuracy of prediction; Astrology & human nature; Intellect & intuition; Observations of Kraft; Experiments carried out by Symours, Robert Gleadow & Donald A. Bradley; Twin borns, Abraham Lincoln & Charles Darwin; Planetary configuration; Lagna manifestation karma; Observations of Bertrand Russell, Rutherford & A.J. Pearce;
6. Technical Terms Tithi, Nakshatra, Yoga, Karana, zodiac, Ecliptic, Axis, Muhurta, Latitude, Longitude, Celestial Equator, Equinox, Solstice, Declination, Tropical (sayana) longitude, Sidereal longitude, Ayanamsa, Astangata, M.C., Solar month, Lunar month, Intercalary month, Sidereal time, Apparent moon, Right ascension, Hour circle, Geocentric position, Nodes, Meridian, Aspects, Planets, Retrogression, Aphelion, Perihelion, Perigee;
7. Planets & Houses Mula-trikona, exaltation, debilitation, movable signs, fixed signs, Dwiswabhava signs, odd signs, even signs, Shrishodaya signs, Prishthodaya signs, Ubhayodaya signs, Kendras, Konas, Panapharas, Apoklimas, Upachayas, Apachayas, Extra Saturnine planets, Rahu & Ketu, benefics, malefics, sexes, fiery signs, watery signs, airy signs, earthy signs, colors, Kalapurusha, colors of planets, power, duties, metals, directions of planets, elements, castes, trigunas, bile, phlegm, wind, anatomical parts, dwelling places, aspects, tastes, mutual relationship of planets, Vargottama, Where are the nine planets?;
8. Casting a Chart: Ephemeris Method.
9. Casting a Chart: Ephemeris Method (continued) South Indian method, North Indian method, Orissa & Eastern method;
10. Vargas Rasi, Hora, Drekkana, Navamsa, Dwadasamsa, Trimsamsa, Sapta-varga, Dasamsa, Shodasamsa, Shashtyamsa, Chaturthamsa, Vimsamsa, Siddhamsa, Bhamsa, Khavedamsa, Aksha Vedamsa;
11. Shadbalas Sthanabala, Dikbala, Kalabala, Chesta bala, Dirg bala, Naisargika bala;
12. Some Problems Zodiac, Extension of constellations, Rising sign, Ayanamsa, Sayana versus Nirayana, Birth stars of bhavas, Planetary Avasthas, Moods & states, Graha samaya;
13. Predictive Methods Combustion or Astangata, Principle of Badhaka;
14. Signs, Planets, Constellations Signs, Houses from lagna - dominant features; Dominant features of planets; Constellations - nature, constellations & bodily parts;
15. What the Houses Govern?
16. What the Planets Govern?
17. Planets in Houses Planets in the 12 houses; Planets in exaltation; Planets in Mula trikona; Planets in own houses; Planets in friend's houses; Planets in the houses of enemies; Planets in debilitation; Good & bad planets for various lagnas;
18. Rahu & Ketu.
19. Planetary Aspects Aspects of nine planets; Moon-Venus relation; Mars; Jupiter-Venus relation; Lagna & M.C.; Uranus & Neptune; Aspects on lagna; Aspects on 10th house;
20. Yogas Panchamahapurusha Yogas: Ruchaka, Bhadraka, Hansaka, Malavya, Shasha, Bhaskara yoga, Indra, Vayv, Budha, Kemadruma, Anapha, Sunapha, Durudhura, Shakata, Parijata Chandradhi yoga, Lagnadhi yoga, Gajakesari, Amala, Vasi, Vesi, Uphayachari, Kartari, Parvata, Raja yogas, Kala sarpa yoga, Khala, Chandra-Mangala yoga, Vipareeta rajayoga, Mallika, Chamara, Shankha, Bheri, Mridanga, Shrinatha, Sharad, Matsya, Kurma, Khaga, Laxami, Kusuma, Kalanidhi, Amsavatara, Hariharabrahma, Rajju, Musala, Nala, Gada, Shakata, Vihaga, Shrigataka, Hala, Vajra, Yava, Kamala, Vapi, Yupa, Ishu, Shakti, Danda, Nau, Kuta-chhatra, Chapa, Ardhachandra, Samudra, Chakra, Vallaki, Damini, Pasha, Kedara, Shula, Yuga, Gola;
21. Longevity Short life, medium life, long life; Different methods;
22. Amsha & Other Methods of Longevity Combust Mercury & longevity; Pindayurdaya, Naisargika-ayurdaya, Rashmija ayu, Kala chakra ayurdaya, Nakshatra ayurdaya, Ashtaka varga ayurdaya;
23. Dasa Systems Navamsa dasa, Rashyamsa dasa, Kalachakra dasa, Chakra dasa, Chara paryaya dasa, Navamsa sthira dasa, Sthira dasa, Uttara dasa, Brahma dasa, Karaka Graha dasa, Manduka dasa, Kendra dasa, Karaka kendra dasa, Shula dasa, Nakshatra dasa, Yogardha dasa, Drig dasa, Trikona dasa, Nakshatradi rasi dasa, Tara dasa, Varnada dasa, Pancha svara dasa, Yogini dasa, Pinda, Amsa, Naisargika dasa, Ashtakavarga dasa, Sandhya dasa;
24. Vimshottari Dasa How many days make a year?; The duration of the year for dasas;
25. Results of Mahadasas Maha dasas of Sun, Moon, Mars, Rahu, Jupiter, Saturn, Mercury, Ketu & Venus.
Hardcover, 528 pages.
Contents, volume 2:
26. Ashtaka Varga Bhinna ashtaka varga, Ravi ashtaka varga, Chandra ashtaka varga, Kuja ashtaka varga, Budha ashtaka varga, Guru ashtaka varga, Shukra ashtaka varga, Shani ashtaka varga, Samudaya ashtaka varga - Rashi pinda, Graha pinda, Shodhya pinda;
27. Transit Influences.
28. Upagrahas Mandi & Gulika, Dhuma, Vyatipata, Parivesha, Indrachapa, Upaketu;
29. Annual Solar Returns Exact time when the sun reaches the same point after one year; References to Uttara Kalamrita, B.V. Raman; Results of various dashas during the year; Dasas of Ravi, Chandra, Kuja, Budha, Guru, Shukra, Shani, Rahu & Lagna;
30. Mundane Astrology Ruling stars & ruling planets of states & countries; Chart of Indian independence; Pyramid of Gizeh; Views of Ptolemy & Varahamihira; Factors reckoning mundane astrology; Relation of a country's chart with that of the President's chart; Charts of President & Prime Minister;
31. Profession Houses & planets governing profession; Horoscopes of Lord Tennyson, Alexander the Great, Immanuel Kant, Pasteur, T.H. Huxley, Newton, Einstein, Charles I, Von Papen, Goethe, Elizabeth I, Caesar Borgia, Cicero, Gladstone, Annie Besant, Shivaji, Saint Thyagaraja, Dueher, Haydon; Characteristics of specific degrees of Mesha & Tula, of Vrishabha & Vrishchika, of Mithuna & Dhanush, of Kataka & Makara, of Simha & Kumbha, of Kanya & Meena;
32. Some Professions Diplomacy: Charts of K.P.S. Menon, S. Radha Krishnan; Politics: Charts of Chamberlaine, Karl Marx, Pierre Laval, Mussolini, Napoleon, Earl of Beaconsfield, Sir John French, Clemenceau, Napoleon III, Third Reich, Lloyd George, Woodrow Wilson, Lincoln; Philosophers, Police & Military, Mathematicians, Advocates, Attorney, Poets, Philosophers, Accountant. Criminals. Charts of Nero, Aurangzeb, N.V. Godse, Walter Horsford, Schauman & some other criminals;
33. Ailments Parts of body governed by 27 Nakshatras, Diseases affected by different planets: Epilepsy & Neurasthenia, Paralysis, Gout, Gall Bladder, Cancer, Tumours, Ulcers, Dropsy, Plague, Itches, Stone, Hydrophobia, Fracture of bones, Loss of limbs, Leprosy, Leucoderma, Blood poisoning, Burns, Complaints of liver, Bilious diseases, Bowels, Colic, Appendicitis, Diabetes, Piles & allied complaints, Hydrocele, Mental ailments, Eye troubles, Nose troubles, Troubles of tongue, Dental troubles, Defective hearing, Troubles of mouth & face, Affectation of throat, asthma, Affections of lungs; Complaints of heart; Urinary diseases, Smallpox & chickenpox, Bronchitis, Diseases of digestive system, Cirrhosis of liver;
34. Some Diseases Tumour of eye, short sight, blindness, night blindness, General complaints of the eye, Dumbness, Diseases of ear, Diseases of teeth, Diseases of throat, Asthma, Consumption, Tuberculosis, Heart complaints, Meningitis, Thrombosis, Haematemesis, Indigestion, Colic, Gastritis, Diarrhea, vomiting, Amoebiasis, Dysentery, Hernia, Diabetes, Prostate glands, Diseases of sex organs, Prameha, Enlargement of scrotum, Rheumatism, Epilepsy, Hysteria, Mental cases, Charts of patients with different diseases, Impotency, Ovaries & uterus, Leukemia, Fever, Kidney, Cancer, Charts of cancer patients, Bad health, Painful & unnatural death;
35. Some Sensitive Positions Specific degrees of all signs giving bad results if malefic planets are there;
36. Some Remedial Measures Vedic remedies for planets, Mantras, Japas, danas (charities), Planets responsible for different ailments, Gems prescribed to propitiate different planets;
37. Female Horoscopy Nativities of women, Charts showing effects of planets on the lives of women; General outline, Ashtaka varga, Special features
38. Marriage, Matching & Kuja Dosha Marriage, signs & degrees involved in consideration of the problem of marriage: Matching, Number of kutas, Charts showing effects of kutas, Special points, Role of Kuja; Ketu & Uranus, Arudha; Kuja dosha, Charts showing Kuja dosha;
39. Children General principles expounded by Parasara, Charts showing role of Shani, Guru, Budha & Rahu-Ketu in the birth of progeny; Different kinds of children according to Kalyana Varma; Role of Jupiter in childbirth, Role of Kuja & Guru combined, Combination of planets, 12th house, Sphuta & Saptamsa, Loss of children, Adoption, Sons late in life; Number of children, Time of birth & number, Absence of children, Loss & gain of time;
40. Kalpalata on Jaimini Sutras Treatises on Jaimini Sutras; Kalpalata & Krishniya;
41. Jaimini System Unique system of astrology, Argala, Benefic argala, Malefic argala, Argala caused by the planets, Argala counteracted by the planets; Different lagnas: Janma lagna, Navamsa lagna, Karakamsa lagna, Arudha lagna; Hora lagna, Bhava lagna, Ghatika lagna, Vighatika lagna, Gulika, Pranapada, Varnada lagna, Mandi, Strength of planets & houses, Symbolic points, Brahma, Rudra, Maheshwara, Longevity, Chara dasa, Sthira dasa, Trikona dasa.
Hardcover, pages 531 to 949.
Comment: This is the finest exposition of Vedic astrology we have ever seen. Sastri - a professor of languages - has read everyone & everything, has studied for decades, has compared one to another, has pondered the possibilities, has reached conclusions. The results show, on every page. This is his masterpiece, published in 2001. As the title suggests, these two volumes would be excellent for an intensive Vedic astrology class. Rare for Indian books, they are excellently printed & bound. Recommended without reservation.
Back to the P.S. Sastri Page.